About Midlothian Science Zone (MSZ)
Midlothian Science Zone (MSZ) is a cluster of principal sites renowned for their expertise in the biotechnology and animal health sector, incorporating The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, The Roslin Institute, Roslin Innovation Centre and SRUC on the University of Edinburgh Easter Bush Campus; Pentlands Science Park and Moredun Research Institute; Edinburgh Technopole and Scottish Enterprise BioCampus.
MSZ is governed by a Partner Steering Group representing local government, science parks, research institutes, academic hubs and tenant companies which have collaborated and committed to co-invest for the next 5 years.
Key Aims of Business Plan
A Business Plan has been produced following a programme of consultation with MSZ businesses and stakeholders which identifies key themes and activities to be delivered on over the next 5 years.
- To stimulate economic growth within the area and sector, improving economic conditions for all stakeholders from major property owners, research institutes and educational institutions to small start-up operations and spin-out companies.
- Promote the diversity, prestige, quality and capability of MSZ to increase the number of scientific research and technology companies to the area.
Project Management Activities
- Facilitate communication between businesses within MSZ
- Lobbying/Information Gathering
Facilitate communication between businesses within MSZ
- Develop a programme of relevant business engagement events and support including innovation workshops to inform businesses on market intelligence, business opportunities and to help foster innovation and collaboration.
- Lead on the delivery of a series of familiarisation visits/experiences for businesses operating within the Midlothian Science Zone to help increase awareness/knowledge of likeminded businesses and encourage collaboration.
- Work with key partners and with the council’s economic development team promote MSZ as an attractive place to locate, linking with inward investment strategies and associated investment campaigns/promotional activities.
- Identify key improvements which could be made to the physical environment within the MSZ including wayfinding/pathways/signage and make recommendations for improvement.
- Identify key external funding opportunities where appropriate and lead applications to secure funding for projects to enhance the activity of MSZ.
- Working with the MSZ Marketing Coordinator capture good news stories or business information which could be used to positively promote MSZ both at local, national and international level.
- Act as strategic contact representing MSZ partners in liaison with local authority and stakeholders on key strategic projects such as Edinburgh and South East City Region Deal. The project manager will have a key role in disseminating information to partners and representing the interests of the partnership where appropriate.
- Collate and gather data from partners/stakeholders in response to requests for information into the MSZ or to contribute to local/national policy requests.
- Act as single point of contact to lead a programme of consultations to gather feedback effecting businesses and staff operating in and around MSZ and to foster best practice.
- Lead on promotional activities to showcase MSZ as a vibrant and prestigious place to learn and work.
- Respecting each organisation’s approach to skills outreach, support in organising rotating internships, open days, placements and links with educational institutions, the Local Authority and skills agencies.
- Manage requests for educational visits/experiences and familiarisation trips from external stakeholders, educational establishments or businesses.
- The Project Manager will have responsibility for the financial management of the project/programmes ensuring all activity spend is within budget. External financial support will be provided by Midlothian Council to assist the overall project financial management and audit requirements.
- The Project Manager should ensure that all external works/supplies and services follows best value principles.
- Lead on the development of a robust monitoring system which captures the details/outcomes of all businesses /individuals participating and benefiting from the above initiatives. Ensure that performance data is recorded, collated and maintained to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of the Programme.
- Provide monthly/quarterly reports to MSZ Steering Group and where required the Easter Bush Development Board on project activities and key outcomes/deliverables.
- Maintain contact with individual stakeholders to ensure that MSZ activity complements their own activity and does not duplicate it.
- Degree in relevant subject or significant equivalent experience
- Project management experience
- Track record of project/programme management that delivers economic impacts
- Experience of leading, facilitating and managing effective partnership workings
- Budget management experience
- Strong passion for project delivery and results driven
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and enablers
- An energetic and enthusiastic approach is vital. The post-holder should have a strong passion for project delivery and delivering results
- Strong inter-personal skills and ability to engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and enablers
- Ability to engage key partners effectively, and, where appropriate, the ability to lever in additional resources, in-kind support, etc.
- Ability to work well with colleagues within a team / partnership structure
- Exceptional communication skills – verbal, written and presentational
- Strong organisational skills, including ability to multi-task across a range of workstreams / projects
- Ability to work effectively to tight deadlines and self–manage to effectively prioritise competing demands
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Competency with basic IT applications (MS Office and Excel)
- Candidate will be expected to supply a basic disclosure certificate
Form of Tender
This position will be awarded by contract. The successful applicant will will require to be registered as self-employed and be responsible for their personal tax, NI contributions and all other personal costs and will be responsible for and hold Public Liability Insurance as specified.
- Employment type: Self-employed.
- Contract Period: 2 Years. Option to extend for a further 3 Years (year on year).
- Start Date: December 2019/January 2020 or by arrangement.
- Hours: 10 days per month (flexible) or by arrangement.
- Budget: Limit of £50,000 inclusive of VAT. There is a separate budget of £2,000 for business mileage has been provided for this service. Business mileage excludes travel to and from home to place of work.
- Place of Work: Midlothian. Hotdesk facilities will be provided at various partner sites.
- Successfel applicant may at times work from own premises, ensuring availability and accessibility to partner organisations.
- Equipment: Successful applicant is expected to provide own technical equipment required, including laptop and mobile telephone. Ongoing running costs should be factored into the final tender.
Invitation to Tender
Please submit your application via Public Contracts Scotland portal by 30 November 2019 at 12 noon.
To arrange an informal conversation prior to submission, please contact (before 21 November):
- John Mackenzie, CEO, Roslin Innovation Centre e: John.Mackenzie@roslin.ed.ac.uk
- George Walker, Park Manager, Pentlands Science Park e: George.Walker@pentlands.co.uk
Wherever possible response will be within two working days.
The content contained within this Job Vacancy outline for a Project Manager is for information purposes only. This content does not form any contract or legal standing. Full details are contained within the Invitation to Tender document.
In this section
Pentlands Science Park
- Bush Loan
- Midlothian, EH26 0PZ
Park Manager: George Walker
T: +44 (0)131 445 5111
Roslin Innovation Centre
- The University of Edinburgh
- Easter Bush Campus
- Midlothian EH25 9RG
Chief Executive Officer: John Mackenzie
T: +44 (0)131 651 9000
- 40-46 Buccleuch Street
- EH22 1DN
T: 0131 271 3435
F: 0131 271 3537