Seaweed production in the UK is a growing industry with the potential to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges including climate change. Seaweed is highly efficient when it comes to storing carbon, sequestering greenhouse gases and decreasing acidification in the ocean. Seaweed also has a large potential market in food, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, animal feed, industrial biotech, fertiliser, bioplastics, bioenergy and wastewater treatment.
Who this event is for:
- Anyone involved or interested in the seaweed industry
- SMEs and businesses including farmers, processors and commercial users of seaweed including those in industrial biotechnology
- Investors and policy makers interested in the seaweed industry
- Researchers working or interested in applications of seaweed in industry
What to expect:
- Vincent Demouziel from United Nations Global Compact will give an overview of the seaweed industry on a global scale
- A focus on innovative market opportunities. You’ll hear from speakers from a range of companies across the supply chain including producers and commercial users of seaweed
- Expert Michelle Stanley from the SAMS Seaweed Academy will talk about scaling-up the industry and we will also explore community building
- There will also be a session on funding and investment in the industry, followed by a chaired panel session with Q&A
- To learn more about the current status of the seaweed sector
- To make connections with others working in the seaweed industry
- To find people to collaborate with to drive innovation in this important and growing sector
The Bioeconomy Cluster Builder (BCB) is a three-year collaboration between the Industrial Biotechnology Innovation Centre (IBioIC), KTN and Scottish Enterprise. The project aims to grow the Scottish bioeconomy by raising awareness of the applications and benefits of biotechnology and supporting the development of new value chains and markets for bio-based products. Using the extensive networks and knowledge of the three partner organisations, we connect the right people and resources – providing innovation support and signposting to funding opportunities.